OSBRC Schools Forge Ahead at the Holiday!
December 02, 2019
We’re seven weeks into the Ontario Schools Battery Recycling Challenge and collectively, OSBRC schools have recycled more than 315,000 single-use batteries!
So far, five schools have met or exceeded the OSBRC Pledge. That means they’ve recycled at least 1.36 kilograms for every student and staff enrolled at their school!
Good Shepherd School of Courtice has found itself out front of the pack on the Blue Leaderboard, followed closely by Parkinson Centennial Public School of Orangeville. Earmers Corner PS of Cornwall, Holy Trinity Catholic School of Courtice and Brooklin Village PS are currently sitting in 3rd, 4th and 5th!
Quintilian School of Kingston is sitting atop the Red Leaderboard followed by Chapel Hill Catholic School of Orleans. Springfield Public School, Muskoka Christian School of Utterson and Westmount Junior School of Etobicoke make up the Top 5 on the Red Leaderboard!
It’s still anyone’s Challenge! The Christmas break is a great time to regroup before the new year and the drive to Earth Day!
Student Mission Prize Draw December 6, 2019!
The first OSBRC Student Mission prize draw is coming up on December 6, 2019! To be eligible to win one of five $50 Visa gift cards before the Christmas break, students must complete at least three Student Missions before 12 pm on the day of the draw.
Eco-friendly Christmas Tips!
It’s all too easy to get wrapped up in the Christmas spirit, so we thought we’d share some tips to help keep us grounded and in touch with the environment over the holiday break!
- Reuse the comic section of the newspaper in place of wrapping paper. For a more sophisticated look and feel, consider reusing a beautiful fabric. If you do use wrapping paper, consider something that doesn’t have foil or glitter so it can be recycled.
- Reusable shopping bags aren’t just for groceries! Bring them along when you’re out shopping for gifts.
- Donate toys that you or your child has outgrown to charity
- If a toy can’t be donated, be sure to remove the batteries before you dispose of it
- Choose decorations that will last a lifetime. Consider materials like recycled fabric and wood or glass – which are all great alternatives to plastic.
- Consider buying locally made gifts for family and friends
- If you’re having company for dinner, consider how much of the leftovers you’ll actually eat. Maybe you can make a nice turkey soup, or you can always send some leftovers home with your guests. They’ll love it!
- If you’re still using the older style lights on your tree and home, upgrade to LED!
From all of us here at Raw Materials Company, please have a safe and happy holiday!
- Curbside Battery Recycling Program
- What's Inside A Battery?
- Find a recycling location near you!
- How to Prepare Your Batteries for Recycling
- Change the Batteries in Your Smoke Detectors
- 8th Annual OSBRC Starts Today! 10/18/21
- Batteries Dead? Recycle Instead! Fall 2021 9/22/21
- OSBRC Wraps up Earth Day! 3/30/21
- Batteries Dead? Recycle Instead! Spring 2021 2/23/21
- National Battery Day - February 18th! 2/18/21
- Visit the archives for more!
- October 2021 (1)
- September 2021 (1)
- March 2021 (1)
- February 2021 (3)
- November 2020 (1)
- October 2020 (1)